Employees at Susquehanna know that part of being a good neighbor is giving back to the community.
Each year, Team Susquehanna supports a variety of local organizations and events, as a means of demonstrating Talen Energy’s commitment to good citizenship.
The United Way is the cornerstone of the company’s philanthropy, and in 2017, Susquehanna employees raised more than $100,000 from individual pledges for United Way and an additional $80,000 for the Berwick Area United Way’s annual golf tournament. Employees also get involved in hands-on activities, such as the “Stuff the bus” fundraiser that involves collecting backpacks and other school supplies at the start of the school year.
Another major contribution Susquehanna makes to the community is through support of local first responders. The plant contributes more than $17,000 annually to assist 10 local departments.
Other organizations and events plant employees support, either financially or by offering public use of the Susquehanna Riverlands and Information Center, include:
- Berwick Area YMCA
- Luzerne County Community College
- Berwick Area School District
- Susquehanna Warrior Trail 5K Run/Walk
- Boy Scouts of America, Columbia-Montour Council
Other community outreach includes hosting:
- American Red Cross blood drives
- 5K races
- Programs that allow Boy Scouts to earn their Nuclear merit badge
- Food and toy drives to benefit families in need throughout our community
Our employees also participate in nuclear education presentations in classrooms at schools and organizations throughout our community.